Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thank you NIFLA!

What is NIFLA you ask? And why am I thanking them? Well... NIFLA stands for the National Institute of Family Life Advocates (click here to see more: http://www.nifla.org/). They are an organization that does a lot of things, but one of the things they do is train nurses in ultrasound. They do this because if a woman sees an ultrasound of her baby she is less likely to have an abortion. This is something that I am very passionate about, so I was happy to volunteer as a "model" for the nurses to train on. I know I was suppose to be doing NIFLA a favor by volunteering, but honestly I think I am the one that won out. I got to watch an ultrasound of our baby for 45 minutes. It was really fun! Usually at the doctors I feel like they rush you in and out so they can get to all the patients, and they don't always take the time to really let you look during the ultrasound. Plus, a lot of times the nurse will tell me what she is looking at and I have no idea what she is talking about because she goes so fast. But this time was different. There were 6 different nurses who took turns using the ultrasound machine on me. The neat thing was that while they were learning what to look for, so was I. The nurse that was teaching them was very good about explaining everything - and by the 6th time of looking at it and felt like I really knew what I was looking at. According to them I have really nice anatomy :) Ultimately it was just really cool to get to watch our baby for 45 minutes. It is so rare to get to see inside the womb, so I really enjoyed it! We got to see lots of different views. We saw him/her move around, swallow, and give a peace sign - all at only 14 and a half weeks old!

Here are a few pics of the newest addition to our family:

This is our little peanut at 8 weeks:

Here is his/her (still don't know which yet!) face:
(Looks a little alien-esque, but still cool!)

Profile shot - isn't it so cool to see how much he/she has grown is just 6 weeks?

This is him/her giving a peace sign:

Another profile shot - you can't really see his/her legs, but I promise they are there! I saw them kicking all around!


No comments: