Monday, August 8, 2011

More Milestones

This Summer (which is sadly almost over for me - but gladly because that means it is almost time for our baby girl to get here!) Nolan has reached several new milestones. He's learned TONS of new words, learned to swim (well, at least learned the idea that if you kick and move your arms you will go somewhere), learned to correctly eat with a spoon, learned to use a baseball glove (he's not very good at catching with it, but at least he knows it's not a hat now!), and most importantly, he's now sleeping in a big boy bed!!

This is a picture of his bed (which he calls his "baseball bed"). I was really hesitant to switch him out of his crib - mainly because he sleeps really well in there and I wasn't willing to give up the 3 hour nap he takes everyday just to struggle with getting him to stay in bed. But I finally decided to give it a go so that he was use to sleeping in his bed before the baby comes. I know she won't use the crib for a while, but this way he has plenty of time to adjust and won't feel like his little sister stole his crib.

He's been sleeping in this bed for about a week now, and I'm pleased to say that he has done GREAT! I couldn't have asked for it to go better. He hasn't crawled out once. He goes right to sleep like he always has. In fact, I'm not sure he really knows that he's able to get out of the bed himself. Most mornings and after naptimes I find him standing up in his bed with his arms outstretched, waiting for someone to get him. This morning was the first time he actually crawled down by himself.

I think the key to the success of this transition is due to 1. letting him run around lots outside so he is good and tired and ready for bed, and 2. picking sheets that he was excited about. He's always loved anything having to do with sports so I figured this would be a hit when I got it on sale several months ago. But recently he has gotten really excited about baseball in particular (which I love). Hence the reason he calls it his "baseball bed".

I'm definitely proud of what a big boy he is. But when I look at him sleeping in this big bed, I can't help but be a little sad that he is growing up so fast!!

No comments: