Sunday, March 18, 2012

3-16-12

This past Friday (3-16) was my birthday. Most of the time on my birthday I don't physically feel any older at all. This was not one of those birthdays. For some reason when I woke up that morning I just stared at my self in the mirror going "how did I get to be 28!?" And then I proceeded to to inspect myself for wrinkles and grey hairs (no comment here on what i found - or didn't find ;) Lord help me when I turn 30! But in all of this thinking about getting older, I started thinking about all of the birthdays I've had over the years. I've had a lot of good ones. But my desires for my birthday now look a lot different than they use to. When you're little it's all about the presents. The more presents the better! Now I have a hard time even figuring out things that I want. That's not what's important to me now. What I find I desire most are non-material things. I told Jack that the best present I could get was a nap. How lame is that? But seriously, if I could ask for one thing, it would be time by myself. A day where I could go shopping all by myself, and then come home and take a nap afterwards. Or a day where I didn't have to do any laundry, or cleaning, or diaper changing, or anything of the sort. Doesn't that sound heavenly? Anyway, I didn't get that this year on my birthday (it was a Friday - so I had to work - so naturally, no shopping and no nap). But next year it's on a Saturday, so HINT HINT... ;)

Despite not getting my day off with a nap, I did have some fun surprises for my birthday this year. And at the end of the day, I was reminded once again how blessed I am. I have so much to be thankful for. And that is really the best present I could have gotten!

No comments: