Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

Each night before bed, Nolan says a prayer. As he is only 3, he doesn't really understand much about praying for someone - even himself. So usually we just ask him some of the things he is thankful for. I figured, since it is Thanksgiving, it would be a good time to recount some of the things he says:

  1. Ms. Lisa
  2. bath tub
  3. Mickey Mouse
  4. James and Luke and Solomon
  5. Grocery Store
  6. Daddy, Mommy, Abby
  7. Boomer
  8. Food (especially cake)
  9. Family
  10. Jesus

Now, it seems like a pretty simple list. But honestly, this kid has hit the nail on the head with his list. Here's why:

1. Ms. Lisa is our babysitter, and she. is. Awesome! We truly are thankful to have someone who provides such wonderful care for our children. She not only loves them and cares for them, but teaches them so much - both academically and socially. It is such a blessing as a working mom to have a place where your kids are excited to go and where you know they'll be well cared for! 

2. I bet you never thought to be thankful for your bath tub. But having hot water and a place to get clean really is nice! (especially when you live with a dirty 3 year old boy - or a boy period ;)

3. This is in reference to one of Nolan's favorite t.v. shows. Again, not something you probably think to be thankful for. But sometimes it really is nice to escape the stressful realities of life with some mindless television! 

4. These are some of Nolan's closest friends. This one's a no-brainer. We all need friends - ones to laugh and joke with, and ones to be serious with. I too am thankful for all my friends that I get to do life with!

5. For whatever reason Nolan really likes the grocery store. And if I really think about it, I guess I am really thankful for that too. To have pretty much any food that I need right at my fingertips is something I take for granted. While we aren't rolling in the dough, my family has never had to go hungry. I know there are many people that aren't so lucky.

6. Is there anything better than your immediate family? We truly are blessed to have one another. I love my family! 

7. Growing up our dogs were kind of annoying, but Boomer is one of the best things that has happened to our family. He is always excited to see us and is a great cuddler and vaccuum. He is great with the kids and they love him in return. If you don't own a dog you should! 

8. I guess this is similar to #5 - we are all thankful for food. Nolan apparently is especially thankful for cake. And if you think about it, isn't it nice to indulge yourself and eat something totally bad for you every once in a while? Totally worth it. Good call on the cake Nolan. 

9. I'm assuming Nolan is referring to his extended family here. We really are blessed to have such a wonderful family - and many of them close by. I grew up with lots of family close and big family gatherings, and I'm glad Nolan and Abby get to have the same! So many uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, and great grandparents to love!

10. I'm not sure that Nolan really understands why Jesus is important, but I pray that someday he will. For now I am blessed that he is able to learn about him and worship Him freely! 

No comments: