Friday, February 5, 2010

Preparing for a Blizzard

Ready or not, the snow is coming! This time around we are suppose to get 20 - 30". You know it is going to be bad when the weathermen stat talking about snow accumulation in terms of "feet" instead of "inches". Virginia has its share of snow each year, but I think this winter is worst than most. As you can imagine people are kind of freaking out around here. Jack has been selling the heck out of snow blowers at work. I think they've sold more snow blowers this week than they have the past 10 years combined. It has been great for business! A lot of people are saying that we might lose power in this storm, so they've been selling chain saws and generators too. I can deal with lots of snow but ice is not my thing. Personally I'm rather fond of heat and electricity.

The snow hasn't really started coming down too hard yet. It is snowing but nothing like the blizzard conditions they say are on the way. I tried my best to make the most of this morning knowing that we might not get out of the house for a while. Here's what we've been up to so far:


Nolan actually slept in a little bit this morning - 7:30! I felt like a new woman sleeping that late. After everyone had breakfast Nolan got some tummy time on the floor. Despite our efforts of encouragement he still hasn't quite rolled all the way over. He can get about 80% of his body over but always gets stuck on an arm or something. I think in this picture Boomer was trying to help him out:


When that was done we decided to bundle up and make a last minute trip to Wal-Mart before the storm trapped us inside. I tried to do some grocery shopping earlier in the week so we could avoid the crazy/desperate people. I got almost everything except for dog food (I guess Boomer needs to eat too) and pepperoni (making pizza later). Wal-Mart was pretty picked over - there were almost completely out of dog food (I was able to scrounge up a small bag to get us through) and the only pepperoni I could find was a package so big it will last us a lifetime. This is a picture of Nolan enjoying his trip to Wal-Mart (and by "enjoying" I mean "sleeping through"):


While we were out and about I decided to go ahead and take Boomer for a walk. After all, it might be a while before we can get out and exercise again. By the time we were done this was Nolan:

I promise I am not trying to suffocate my son. I guess the hat is still a little on the big side, but his head is so big that most his other hats don't fit! I like to think of it as an eye mask - kept things nice and dark for his nap :)

After our walk I made sure to give Boomer a little extra exercise. I threw sticks and snow balls at him for a good 10 minutes, and he chased them relentlessly. I've decided that those are the two best toys for dogs. They are free, and if you lose one you just find a different stick or make a new snow ball. Boomer sure seemed to enjoy it anyway!

And as if Boomer didn't have a good enough morning already, he had another surprise. MG came over and brought Ella for Boomer to play with. boomer is probably 10 times Ella's size but they played great together nevertheless. Eventually Ella figured out ways that she could get the upper hand - chasing him around through narrow paths, and swatting at him from the height of the couch.

Now Boomer is nice and warn out! He and Nolan are both sounds asleep so it's time for me to stop writing on this blog and go get something productive done. I figure if I'm going to get snowed in I'd rather be snowed in in a clean house. We'll see how that goes...

No comments: