Saturday, September 6, 2008

For the Love of a Dog


Meet Boomer - The best dog ever. Boomer is a Lab/Golden Retriever Mix. We got him about a year ago when he was just a 12 pound pup. Now he's 81 pounds of lovable goodness. If you've ever gotten to meet Boomer, you know what a great dog he is. He doesn't know a ton of tricks, but he's really good at the basics: high fives, sit, lay down, etc. But better than that, he is great outside. When he needs to go to the bathroom, we let him out the back door, he does his business, and then nudges the door back open when he's ready to come in. If he takes longer than you want you just call his name and he's back in a flash. This is especially nice on days when it's raining or in the winter when it's really cold. I sit comfortably inside while he goes out and does his thing.
On top of being a good listener, he is also a great cuddler. It's a good thing we have a king size bed, because by the time you get me, Jack, and Boomer in there, there's not a lot of room left. Usually I get sandwiched in between the two of them. Occasionally, when laying on the couch, Boomer will jump up and lay smack on top of me. While it's not the most comfortable, I don't really mind. He just wants to be close to us, and that's a good feeling.
To be perfectly honest, last summer I wasn't really thrilled about getting a dog. To me all dogs were just annoying, slobbery, hairy things that jump all over you all the time. But I'm happy to say that Boomer has proved me wrong. He's the perfect dog - no jumping or licking! I may not have wanted a dog before, but now I can't imagine myself without him. It's great to come home to someone who is so excited to see you! We may not have the best luck with cats, but if anything ever happened to Boomer I would be devastated! When I think about it, if I can love Boomer this much, how much more will I love our baby when it gets here in the spring? I can't wait to find out!

No comments: