Monday, September 1, 2008

Update


We* are now into our 11th week of pregnancy, so as things grow and change, I'll try to document as much as possible. (* I say "we" because even though I am the one that is actually pregnant, Jack is just as much a part of this as I am.)

This week baby Donohoe is about the size of a prune (about 2 inches). Sometimes I wonder if there really is something inside of me. I can't believe that something so tiny will grow into a fully functioning human. It really is an amazing process. So far I haven't felt a huge impact physically. I can't tell if I've really gained weight - maybe 2 or 3 pounds throughout the whole process, but nothing major yet. And as far as I can tell, I feel fine. I probably get asked 5 - 10 times per day (no, that's not an exaggeration) about how I'm feeling. So far I have not thrown up at all - no morning sickness! I definitely feel blessed about that part (I think teaching would be a little difficult if I had to rush out to vomit every so often). But I also feel a little guilty - I'm not sure if guilty is the right word, but I guess I feel like if I'm really pregnant then I should be a little sick too. It's only fair right? But I guess different people handle pregnancy differently - at least that's what I've been told. So I'll try to relax and just enjoy the fact that the prune-sized fetus inside me is not causing spontaneous vomiting.

In other related news, we have started accumulating our first baby gear. We have gotten a few presents - including diapers, onesies/neutral clothing items, a teddy bear, etc. We also got our first baby furniture. A little early? Perhaps. But it's never too early when you find a good deal. I went to a big consignment sale last week and found a crib, changing table, stroller, bedding, and lamp for dirt cheap. It's all used, but in great condition. I ended up paying $100 for what could easily cost $500 or more brand new.

Slowly the pieces are coming together. It is still very early on, and we have a long way to go. But the shock is starting to wear off so the excitement can set in. I now find myself watching shows like Jon & Kate plus 8, and Bringing Home Baby, and a Baby Story with a whole new appreciation and fascination. I feel like I have 7 months to learn everything there is to know about having a new born. I have come to the conclusion though that you can never be totally prepared for a baby. So I guess we'll just do what we can and see what happens!

Ok that's all for now... this is starting to get as long as one of Jack's posts... ;)

2 comments:

Allison Ashinhurst said...

Glad you are feeling good....don't feel guilty at all for not having morning sickness! Everyone and every pregnancy is different :-) I wanted to tell you that there is a website www.babycenter.com where you can put in your due date, and it will E-mail you a weekly update just of important facts and information about your baby at that stage. You may already know about it, but just wanted to pass that along.... Hope you're having a great week!

realrabbit said...

TRUST ME!!! Not throwing up is a VERY GOOD THING!!! Esp at work....nope nope nope...no throwing up at work!

Love ya....Nina

ps. Say Hi to my grandchild for me!