Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sad News

There's not really any eloquent way to say this, so I'll just come out with it. Yesterday my grandmother ("Grandmommie") passed away. She was 89 years old. Grandmommie was a wonderful lady. I think anyone that ever met her would agree with that statement. I don't think I ever saw her get mad or frustrated with anyone (something she passed on to my dad). She was patient and kind and loving, and she brought great joy to our lives. When we were little she would push us around on this little trike thing she had, and whip up a batch of "pancake soup". If we fell or bumped our head on the table or something she would smack it and say "Bad table!" And she had the most genuine, infectious laugh. I'll always treasure my school days when I use to get on and off the bus at her house. In the afternoon she would make a snack of "instant fudge" (yum!) or a bowl of applesauce with a cottage cheese smiley face on top (which I still eat to this day) or a cream cheese and nut sandwich (which sounds gross, but try it sometime - it's really good) or an open-face sandwich (just bread toasted with cheese on top), or a simple peanut butter cup (her favorite!). I could always count on Grandmommie for one of those. And they were always delicious. In her later years she developed Alzheimers. This was particularly painful because she was always in great shape physically, but started to go mentally. There's nothing more painful than being with someone you love so much, but has no clue who you are. I wish I visited her more. Throughout it all though she maintained her bubbly personality. She loved being outside - she was a master gardener and flower arranger; she was great at sewing - I hope one day to make her proud in this area. But most of all, she loved being with family. And we loved being with her.

No comments: