Sunday, August 17, 2008

How did I get to this point?


The other night Katie and I went to a little kid production of a musical that they learned in about 1 week. Granted the musical was put on by many people from our church, and was an attempted Christian spin off of the movie Grease.
So besides asking the question of what are you doing spending your Friday night at a little kid musical, the answer is
1) i am prepping myself for fatherhood
2) I also have an undying love for musicals.

I am not sure why this is totally. I will admit that growing up my parents were great schemers, and took advantage of the fact that my brothers and I were completely oblivious. So my mom worked at the Va Tech Library and would rent movies from there. These movies generally ranged from the 60's disneys classics Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, to the complete Rodgers and Hammerstein collection, The Music Man, Mary Poppins etc.

So i had no clue that I was missing out on the movies and cartoons most kids were watching, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Smurfs, XMen, Monster Trucks, and Professional Wrestling. I would come in talking up The professor Harold Hill from the Music Man or Friedrich from the sound of music, and felt left out when I did not know what weapon Rafael used to defeat shredder, beebop, and rocksteady.

So while i somehow assumed an appreciation for musical theatre, I never really adapted it and thought towards the future about how much I might enjoy doing it. I mean I can recite soundtracks from many of these movies with the best of them, and even took a Jazz dance class my last semester in college to somehow lodge some of my longing memories for musicals.

I have actually admitted to Katie, that I have not given up on getting voice lessons, and looking back on it. Had i of been a little bit more secure with my manhood in middle school (which I do not think is possible for any dude, talk about an awkward time for any 12-14 year old). I would of done it, b/c lets be honest my tenure with the trumpet is one that most of us would love to forget. Even If I was blessed (cursed?) with the Donohoe voice, I would of at least of had fun doing chorus.

I feel I have started thinking about this a lot more recently due to the release of High School Musical. As much as dudes make fun of zac efron types for dancing and being fairy like. I believe many others and myself are extremely jealous. So right now I am trying to figure out whether I should still pursue this dream, of doing something in a musical/entertainment oriented production. Or if I should live this vicariously through my children. I mean there is no doubt that Bruce will be a stud in sports, but I would love nothing more for him to be a renaissance man. We can look forward to 20 years from now and Him and I will be performing a song from Oklahoma.

So when future performances come up that are done by the school or church. Be not mistaken Bruce will be signed up, and he will be the most charismatic, rehearsed, and professional one out there. I mean I still love the kids in performances who stare at the ceiling and pick their wedgies. Bruce will be held tp a higher standard. He will not only have his name called out in sporting events, but on the stage as well. So while some kids would look back at my growing up as parents raising there kids vicariously through the 60's. I am glad to of been raised under the wings of Fred Astaire, Robert Preston, Gordon Macrae and Dick Van Dyke. Who knows maybe Bruce will say the same about Zac Efron.
Thanks Mom and Dad

3 comments:

realrabbit said...

You are so Welcome! GO BRUCE!

Love Mom

Unknown said...

That was my wedding!

Shawn and Taniya said...

Jack - I can always tell when you write a post as opposed to Katie.. I am going to hire you to help edit my disertation for my doctorate degree... Instead of "You got game"... "You got words"!! Love it!